Saturday, August 3, 2013

Cabbage Rolls

So I finally got around to making the cabbage rolls I've talked about.  They take some effort to prep, hence the delay.
They look pretty good, but I tossed them in the freezer so I can make it some day the kids are home to help us eat them.  They are Advocare and Allergy friendly.
First you take a head of cabbage, cut out the core, and put the rest in a pot of boiling salt water.  After several minutes the leaves start to peel and you can peel them off with tongs, one at a time and put them on paper towel to dry and cool.
At the same time chop one cup of yellow onion and soften the onion in a little cooking oil in a skillet. Set aside to cool.  
You then make a mixture of ground beef (I used ground turkey breast), raisins, the cooled onions, cooked rice, and salt.  You roll these up in the cabbage leaves and put in a baking dish.
Then in another bowl you combine 1 16 oz can of tomato sauce and 1/2 cup of beef broth (I used chicken broth because of the turkey) and 1/2 tsp paprika.  Pour this over the cabbage rolls.

Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour at 350
Can serve with some sour cream on top.
I'll let you know how it tastes when we try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment