Monday, January 17, 2011

Ratatouille

So Saturday night I made Ratatouille while we watched Disney’s movie Ratatouille….and it didn’t convince Ella to eat it!  LOL!
So, see my last post for ingredients.  And this recipe like most of my others is from The Whole Food Allergy Cookbook by Cybele Pascal.
Here’s what I did:  Cooked garlic and onion in olive oil over medium heat in a big pot until soft, then add the medium eggplant cut in 1 ½ inch cubes and zucchini cut in ½ in rounds (I would cut a little smaller because they took forever to cook to the softness we wanted). Cover and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
Add green peppers cut into 1 inch pieces and cover and cook 5 more minutes.
Add chopped tomatoes, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper.  Cover and cook over low heat about 20 minutes until all vegetables are tender but not mushy (I had to cook ours nearly 40 minutes for the zucchini to be mostly tender and the tomatoes by then were a sauce.  Worked okay for us, but like I said before I should have sliced them thinner)
Remove from heat, stir in chopped basil, and adjust salt and pepper to taste.
Reviews:
Eli liked it but had a hard time chewing the veggies because he only has a handful of little teeth that couldn’t chew.
I separated 1 of each veggie for Ella to at least try each one and she kept purposely gagging on them and almost made herself throw up once.  She got sent to her bed and no snacks.  She didn’t starve though because I served it with left over chicken on the side and she ate that before any veggies.
Lyle and I liked it but thought it was bland.  Lyle soaked his in hot sauce and I’m thinking throwing some either Mexican type or chili type spices might give it some good flavors.
So that’s Ratatouille.  Tonight I’ll probably just make some Cod I thawed and hopefully tomorrow I’ll try the turkey meatloaf.   I have hamburger thawed because Lyle and I were supposed to have dinner alone yesterday and have stuffed green peppers, something Eli can’t have and Ella won’t eat.  So much for in home date night!

No comments:

Post a Comment