Thursday, January 13, 2011

"Black Bean and Spinach Burritos"

1/13/10
So last night I made Black Bean and Spinach Burritos, which smelled really good when I cooked it....
So you start with olive oil in a pan and saute onion and garlic for a few minutes to soften onion.  Add cumin, chili powder, and oregano and cook another minute.  Add 4 cups of baby spinach and cook until wilted. 
Then I added 2 cans of black beans not drained, juice of one lime, salt and 1/4 cup of water.
Mash about half the beans and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cook at a slow simmer for abut 20-25 minutes, stirring frequently.

To assemble the burriots, heat your corn or frice tortillas about 30 seconds each side on high heat, but to warm.  Place the warm tortilla on a plate and put about 1 Tbsp of mashed avocado in the center, top with 2 Tbsp beans, top with 1 Tbsp salsa, and sprinkle with chopped cilantro.  Fold up an eat.

This is what one single burrito looks like....and it did not taste good at all.  Eli ate on bite, spit it out, and threw the rest on the floor.  Ella took on bite and made her normal I hate it face, we made her take one more bite and got the same response.  Lyle tried one without salsa and didn't like it, so he made a second one with salsa and still didn't like it.  He said it needed hamburger!  LoL!  Can't do that in our house!  I had about half of one.  The flavors didn't seem to penetrate the beans, so all that lovely aroma from the onions, garlic and seasonings were no where to be tasted.   Kind of sad....
So, here's Ella making a can of chicken noodle soup for us to eat (she did it all by herself!)

 Here's Lyle making himself a bologna sandwich and salad...
And here is everyone at the table ready to enjoy a better tasting dinner at 7 pm!

Eli had corn, turkey dog and fruit but he didn't eat very well, I think because he got so upset about the first meal. 
I don't think I'll be trying to change this recipe up, because I agree with Lyle that hamburger instead of beans would be good but I'm not sure I want to try turkey burger instead...at least not yet.
Check back tomorrow for my shopping list for next week.  I think I'm going to make Ratatouille and one other thing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment