Sunday, January 9, 2011

Creamy Avocado Chicken Salad and Creamy Avocado Dressing

1/9/11
Today for dinner I made “Creamy Avocado Chicken Salad” which included making “Creamy Avocado Dressing” to go in it.
I started with the dressing, I took 1 clove of garlic and minced it little, put that, honey and cilantro in a blender (the recipe says food processor but I don’t have one). 
The add avocado and puree.  *Oh yeah, for the amounts look on my last post*  Add rice milk (original flavor, not vanilla!), lime juice, and vinegar and I let it blend for about a minute and took my spoon around the bottom to make sure everything got mixed well.  You add salt and pepper to taste and if you want it more liquid you add a little more rice milk.  I didn’t add any extra and I thought it was the consistency of regular salad dressing. 


Cybele (cookbook author) says she uses this as a substitute for creamy dressings for salads, veggies, chicken, and sandwiches.  This is also a great calorie booster for my little guy because the avocados have a lot of calories.
Now, for the chicken salad all you do is combine chicken, onion finely minced, celery, Dijon mustard, and Creamy Avocado Dressing.  Salt and Pepper to taste.  You can serve on bread, wraps, or lettuce or however you like.  Eli had his on a corn tortilla which he played with, and the rest of us had it on bread.


Lyle, Eli and I all liked the chicken salad.  Eli had two full helpings and another little bit.   Ella once again turned up her nose and ended up with chicken noodle soup.  She said once again that the sauce was too spicy.  Next time I make this dressing I’m going to try basil instead of cilantro and see what that tastes like.  The smell of cilantro is strong in it and I think the taste is too and maybe basil will taste better or different.  Or maybe just leave that little bit out or a little more honey to sweeten a bit more.  We’ll see but it can be a good dipper for Eli instead of a Ranch Dressing.
Sometime this week I will be making the Black bean and Spinach Burritos, and I can’t make the biscuits yet because I can’t find any shortening or barley flour in town right now.

2 comments:

  1. How is Eli with fish? That would likely be tasty with tuna, salmon or crab.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Btw, This uncle dan. Totally forgot I had the "Popeye Save us" account :)

    ReplyDelete