Friday, March 4, 2011

Basic Biscuits

Okay... these didn't turn out like they were supposed to.  They are supposed to make a dough that you punch out biscuits from after rolling them out.  They didn't.  So I made drop biscuits.  Problem number two...they don't stay together.  They crumble a lot and Lyle and I agreed that they would be much better with butter or a gravy slathered all over them.  Ella wouldn't eat them....BUT Eli LOVED them!  He ate two (more like 1 1/2 after the crumbling).  So here's what I did.

1 cup oat flour
1 cup barley flour
1 tsp salt
5 tsp double acting baking powder
  Whisk these together then add...
5 Tbsp Vegetable shortening (I couldn't find soy free so used his butter type stuff, which may have been part of the problems)
  and cut in with two knives or pastry blender until consistency of coarse meal.
Then add 2/3 cup of rice milk (maybe cut it down?)
  The recipe says if it's dry to add more but not what to do if it's too wet!
Here you are supposed to lay out on floured surface and roll and cut biscuits, I just dropped them on my cookie sheet.

Bake about 12 minutes or until brown on top (mine took longer, about 20 minutes)

I was looking forward to baking after getting the right flours...but I'm not so sure now!  The one good thing is that they had none of the after taste that everyone but Eli can't get past when eating other allergy friendly foods.
I'm hoping that when I make muffins, they will turn out better because the batter is supposed to be moise and these "biscuits" were about the consistency you would expect of muffins but without flavors such as fruits.

No comments:

Post a Comment